Wednesday 22 August 2012

"Positioning"

So, ladies and gents and those that aren't too sure, over the summer I have been trying to get my head around the concept of business and marketing. So I thought I'll need to get some research done and where better to start than my nose in many books. One which I have just recently finished reading is called "Positioning" by Al Ries and Jack Trout. I found it to be rather informative to say the least.

In the opening chapter a point that caught my business eye was:

"We have become the worlds first overcommunicated society."

Which in a virtual sense is true with sites such as facebook, twitter, blogging, text messaging, emailing etc.
But I feel that sometimes in todays society sometimes we do alot to avoid human contact, which probably explains when I go to asda and tescos the self checkout lines seem alot longer and I feel that is due to the fact people like that lack of human contact.

Here's a pause for thought:

"Advertising is for the most part, unwanted and unliked."

Which in my opinion is definietely not far from the truth, however if I am trying to sell designs I feel like a hypocrite as you need to advertise to create an awareness of your product. But how can you do it effectively to capture your audience?

Here might hold the answer:

"The best way to communicate in our overcommunicated society is the over simplified message."

Something simple is the easiest way to catch attention and to stick in the minds. For example the cooperatives saying is "good with food" short, sweet and to the point. That is all you need.

Another valid point that to get a good place in the market, you need to be the first at getting into the consumers head. Originality is key.

"History shows that the first brand into the brain on average, gets twice the long term market share of the No2 brand."

Also:

"Leaders can do anything they want to."

Most leaders like to stay ahead of the game so as not to lose their "position" by:

"Covering competitive moves by introducing another brand." ("multibrand")

For example:

"Proctor and Gamble brand has its own separate identity: Joy, Crest, Head & Shoulders, Sure, Bounty, Pampers, Comet, Charmin, Duncan Hines."

You might think can you conquer those on top? Yes sometime repositioning strategies can work and here's an example how:

"For a repositioning strategy to work you must say something about your competitor's product that causes the prospect to change his or her mind, not about your product but about the competitors product."

As quite often "people like to see the high and mighty exposed."

From what I have learnt it seems that:

"A successful positioning program requires a major long term commitment by the people in charge- In a constantly changing political enviroment this is difficult to accomplish."

Questions to ask yourself if you want to make a successful brand are:
  1. What position do you own?
  2. What position do you want to own?
  3. Whom must you outgun?
  4. Do you have enough money?
  5. Can you stick it out?
  6. Do you match uour position?
One downside that is said in the book is that:

"Positioning thinking does restrict creativiy."

And being the creative individual that I am, that could cause some friction but nothing that I am sure I can't work around as much as I am creative and I am also determind, which put together is a powerful combination.





No comments:

Post a Comment