Monday 22 November 2010

Assignment 3 a)

Wetherell. M, ed. 1996 Identities groups and social issues, Open University :
Chapter one of this book is what I focused in on. I uncovered some interesting truths about how “belonging” and “identifying” to a group can form our behaviour. Also it looks into how big an influence can group pressure be, does this then lead on to a higher degree of conformity? Can a simple thing, such as individual difference help combat conformity? Yes…
 
Woodward. K, ed. 1997, Identity and difference, Open University:
I concentrated on the first chapter as it had to most relevance to what I am attempting to investigate. It discussed the ideologies of identity and difference. A fascinating point brought up which I looked into was “If identity is marked by difference, how are difference between people manifested and represented? Which sort of differences count? How is difference marked in relation to identity? What are the social and symbolic systems which classify people and mark difference?”
 
Guide to psychology, http://www.guidetopsychology.com/identity.htm:
I found out some intriguing things from this website such as how sometimes identity is strongly linked to lonliness and a sense of emptiness that perhaps may never be filled if they keep trying to search for it through identity.
 
Psychology Today, http://www.psychology today.com/basics/conformity :
I discovered this to be a very insightful site, I like that it is updated with new examples explaining different aspects of conformity. An example that I exposed that drew my attention and revealed some things that I did not know about conformity was “How a Notre Dame Student could die so senselessly.”
 
http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.notrl.edu/crow/topicpredjudice.htm :
Excellent site… It contained lots of different and valid links to different areas of predjudice etc. It contains links to essays, news articles, cartoons and more, all looking at this delicate subject matter.
 
 
Clayton. S, Devine-Wright. P, Journal of Enviromental Psychology, Vol 30, Issue 3, September 2010:
It discusses relating identity to place and behaviour. Also how identity is determined and characterized. I like how identity to most is meant to be about individuality and uniqueness, but are we really are own persons?

No comments:

Post a Comment