Sunday 27 March 2011

Assignment 5

The books that I have chosen to try and read over the summer are:

1) The Invisible gorrilla- By Christopher Chabris and Daniel Simons

I have mentioned this book in an earlier post, I think it is going to be an interesting read as it explains this such as, if a crime was happening right next to you would you notice it? And the interesting claim this book makes is that you would not. I can't wait to find out more about their theories.

2) Being Wrong- By Kathryn Shulz

I really want to read this as I find the author rather facinating. She claims to be the worlds leading wrongologist. The synopsis I have read of this book is really insightful. It shows us that why we find being right so gratifying and being wrong, so degrading. Being wrong is a result as to why some of our relationship can corrode and waste away. A quote from a blog I found really sold this book to me, if I am being utterly honest : "A brilliant debut from a new voice in nonfiction, this book calls on us to ask one of life’s most challenging questions: what if I’m wrong?"

3) The Laws of Simplicity- By John Maeda

This book seemed like a must read, as it gives us ten laws into seeing, doing and thinking things simple in terms of design. I think this will be very useful, hopefully, to apply this to my own work.


4) What is a designer: things, places, messages- By Norman Potter

From the reviews I have read on designers blogs that I have found, this seems to be a must read. From what they were saying it inspires you to work even harder at your work. Now in my opinion, that can't be a bad thing? Can it? So by sheer word-of-mouth, I have decided to check this book out.


5) The Design of everyday things- By Donald A Normal

I want to read this one, to help me with my textile designs. It shows us why and how we should design things. It is about putting the user first, i.e being user friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment